The native comments feature in Ghost allows you to invite members to join the discussion and participate in a community directly on your website.
How to enable comments in Ghost
Member commenting can be enabled for either All members or Paid-members only from within Ghost Admin, in the Settings → Membership area.
You can also include a call-to-action for commenting on posts you send via email newsletter, by toggling on the option from your newsletter design settings, giving readers easy access to engage with the content you send via email.
Who can comment
Commenting is limited to logged-in members. If a reader would like to contribute to the discussion, they need to sign up for a free or paid membership to your site. This has several benefits when it comes to fostering a healthy community around your content, and helps prevent spam.
Logged-in members can create and manage comments as follows:
- Create a new comment
- Edit or delete their own comments inline on the page
- Reply to, or like, another member's comment
- Report another member's comment for misconduct.
Moderation of comments can be handled by the publication owner and staff users with the administrator role, right from the comment thread.
To hide or unhide a comment, login to your site as a member on any device that is also logged in to your staff account, and click the three dots. We recommend using Google Chrome when moderating comments.
The following comment email notifications are delivered:
- Authors of posts receive an email when their post has new comments.
- Members who have left comments receive an email when their comment has a new reply, this can be toggled on or off from the member's profile in Portal.
- Site owners receive an email when a comment has been reported.
Third-party Commenting Options
If you want to implement anonymous commenting, require other advanced commenting features, see our third-party integrations for other commenting tools.